Saturday, August 25, 2007

Braving the back to school crowds armed with my Omron Pedometer


Shopping for back to school supplies for kids is like childbirth. You forget how painful it is until you're in the thick of it. I don't relish walking up and down the aisles of WalMart fighting over the last duotang. However, this year I was determined to get something of benefit out all the chaos. All that walking and shuffling was going to pay off with my usb omron pedometer. I had it in my pocket, knowing that every step I was taking was at least of some value in my journey of walking to lose weight. The steps were registering as I walked around the aisle with glue and scissors looking at least three times because I couldn't find the scotch tape.

So when I got home, I hooked up my omron pedometer to the computer and uploaded my steps to the WalkingSpree website and checked out my dashboard.

(clicking on the images lets you zoom in)




I've already gone over my target by 8.7% today. I also made a point to part further away in the parking lot at the mall. You will notice my aerobic steps are terrible, none yet. The omron pedometer is one of the few pedometers that measures aerobic steps. They are steps taken at 60 steps per minute for a minimum of 10 minutes. They're essential for good heart health, and really producing consistent weight loss. So walking around the mall with my stop and starts to pick up school supplies meant no aerobic steps. However, it's still a great value and I met my step target for today.


So how does wearing my omron pedometer HJ-720IT help me? It's major incentive and motivation. Because I hate back to school shopping, I'd probably have walked less if I wasn't wearing my USB pedometer. This way I turned a yearly chaotic experience into something challenging and motivating. Hmm, maybe I should have created a back to school club in WalkingSpree to see who got the most steps at the mall;)

No comments: